Yashar Mehmani is an assistant professor in the Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering (EME) at Penn State. He is also a co-funded faculty in the Institutes of Energy and the Environment (IEE). His research interests are broadly related to porous media flow and mechanics with a special focus on computing and scale translation. He is particularly interested in how microscale physics affect macroscopic observations and how predictive tools based on such knowledge can be built. Applications that motivate his research relate to sustainability aspects of subsurface energy production, groundwater contamination, and renewables. He did his undergraduate years at Sharif University of Technology, Iran, followed by a Ph.D. at the University of Texas at Austin. He was then a postdoctoral fellow and later a research associate at the Energy Resources Engineering Department at Stanford University.
- Mehmani, Y., Li, K., “A multiscale preconditioner for microscale deformation of fractured porous media.” Journal of Computational Physics, (2023).
- Mehmani, Y., Anderson, T., Wang, Y., Aryana, S.A., Battiato, I., Tchelepi, H.A., Kovscek, A.R., “Striving to translate shale physics across ten orders of magnitude: What have we learned?”, Earth Science Reviews (2021).
- Mehmani, Y., Castelletto, N., Tchelepi, H.A., “Nonlinear convergence in contact mechanics: Immersed boundary finite volume”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, (2021).
- Mehmani, Y., Castelletto, N., Tchelepi, H.A., “Multiscale formulation of frictional contact mechanics at the pore scale.” Journal of Computational Physics, (2021).
- Wang, C., Mehmani, Y., Xu, K., “Capillary equilibrium of bubbles in porous media”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, (2021).
- Mehmani, Y., Tchelepi, H.A., “Multiscale formulation of two-phase flow at the pore scale.” Journal of Computational Physics, (2019).
- Mehmani, Y., Tchelepi, H.A., “Minimum requirements for predictive pore-network modeling of solute transport in micromodels.” Advances in Water Resources, (2017).
- Mehmani, Y., Burnham, A.K., Vanden Berg, M.D., Tchelepi, H.A., “Quantification of organic content in shales via near-infrared imaging: Green River Formation.” Fuel, (2017).
- Mehmani, Y., Balhoff, M.T., "Mesoscale and hybrid models of fluid flow and solute transport." Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry (book chapter), (2015).
- Mehmani, Y., Sun, T., Balhoff, M.T., Eichhubl, P., Bryant, S., "Multiblock pore-scale modeling and upscaling of reactive transport: application to carbon sequestration." Transport in Porous Media, (2012).