The John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering hosts an annual research showcase, which serves as a networking opportunity for students and industry leaders to explore research taking place in the department.
The 2022 Research Showcase will be held on Wednesday, April 27 at the HUB-Robeson Center, in the Flex Theater, room 132, and room 134.
We invite participants to drop in and out of any sessions that fit their schedule throughout the day, however, we do ask that you pre-register to attend the free luncheon with our speakers.
Those who cannot attend in-person are welcome to view the talks via Zoom.
2022 EME Research Showcase
Wednesday, April 27
Hetzel Union Building (HUB-Robeson Center) - 16802 Pollock Rd, State College, PA 16801
10:30 am: Welcome from Department Head
10:35 – 12:00 pm: Student Lightning Talks
Six 10-minute talks (with 5 min. Q&A) by students conducting research in the department
- Amir Eskanlou, Ph.D. Student, EME-Mining and Mineral Process Engineering Option, “Atomistic insights into surface oxidation of pyrite and quartz: implications for ultrafine particle toxicity”
- Leiyu He, Ph.D. Student, EME-Base Option, “Redirecting Carbon from Wastewater for Energy Production by High-Rate Contact Stabilization (HiCS) Process”
- James Heim II, Ph.D. Student, EME-Fuel Science Option, “Coal-based Bricks & Blocks (CBBs): Process Development to Prototype Fabrication”
- Shams Joon, Ph.D. Student, EME-Base Option, “Monitoring Well and Sensor Placement Optimization at Geological Carbon Storage Sites Using Ensemble-Based Data Assimilation”
- Sean Okonsky, Ph.D. Student, Chemical Engineering (advised by EME faculty), “Catalytic co-pyrolysis of mixed plastics over multiple zeolite catalysts: Interaction effects and kinetic modelling”
- Barbara Perez, Ph.D. Student, Chemical Engineering (advised by EME faculty), “Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography Method Development for the Pyrolysis of Polypropylene”
12:00 – 1:00 pm: Luncheon with speakers, room 131 (attendance is free, but we ask that you pre-register)
1:00 – 2:45 pm: Faculty Research Spotlight Talks
15-minute talks (with 5 min. Q&A) by new faculty in the department
- Nelson Dzade, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering, “Making a Materials Difference to Renewable Energy Transition: The Role of Advanced Modelling and Simulation”
- Yashar Mehmani, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering, "Multiscale computing for engineering porous materials"
- Anne Menefee, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering, “Geochemical controls on subsurface carbon management”
- Renee Obringer, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering, “Leveraging data analytics to understand the impact of climate change on electricity demand”
2:45 – 3:00 pm: BREAK
3:00 – 5:30 pm: Panel Discussion on Energy Transition
Carbon Management During the Energy Transition
- Hamid Emami, Associate Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- Joel Landry, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- Yashar Mehmani, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- Anne Menefee, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- Hilal Ezgi Toraman, Assistant Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering and Chemical Engineering
Critical Minerals for the Energy Transition
- Thanasis Karamalidis, Assistant Professor of Environmental Systems Engineering
- Sarma Pisupati, Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering; Professor of Chemical Engineering
- Mohammad Rezaee, Assistant Professor of Mining Engineering
5:30 – 6:30 pm: Student Poster Exhibition and Reception, room 134 - View Posters and Talks Prior to the Live Reception