Dr. Hilal Ezgi Toraman, Virginia S. and Philip L. Walker Jr. Faculty Fellow is an Assistant Professor of Energy Engineering and Chemical Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University. Dr. Toraman’s research is in the field of chemical reaction engineering with a focus on developing new processes, materials and technologies for efficient and sustainable use of energy resources such as shale gas, biomass and plastic waste. Prior to joining the Penn State faculty, Dr. Toraman served as a postdoctoral researcher with the Delaware Energy Institute at the University of Delaware. She received her B.S. and M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Turkey. She received her Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering from Ghent University, Belgium.
1. SriBala, G., Toraman, H.E., Symoens, S., Déjardin, A., Pilate, G., Boerjan, W., Ronsse, F., Van Geem, K.M. and Marin, G.B., 2019. Analytical Py-GC/MS of Genetically Modified Poplar for the Increased Production of Bio-aromatics. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, 17, pp.599-610.
2. Toraman, H.E., Abrahamsson, V., Vanholme, R., Van Acker, R., Ronsse, F., Pilate, G., Boerjan, W., Van Geem, K.M. and Marin, G.B., 2018. Application of Py-GC/MS coupled with PARAFAC2 and PLS-DA to study fast pyrolysis of genetically engineered poplars. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 129, pp.101-111.
3. Toraman, H.E., Franz, K., Ronsse, F., Van Geem, K.M. and Marin, G.B., 2016. Quantitative analysis of nitrogen containing compounds in microalgae based bio-oils using comprehensive two-dimensional gas-chromatography coupled to nitrogen chemiluminescence detector and time of flight mass spectrometer. Journal of Chromatography A, 1460, pp.135-146.
4. Negahdar, L., Gonzalez-Quiroga, A., Otyuskaya, D., Toraman, H.E., Liu, L., Jastrzebski, J.T., Van Geem, K.M., Marin, G.B., Thybaut, J.W. and Weckhuysen, B.M., 2016. Characterization and comparison of fast pyrolysis bio-oils from pinewood, rapeseed cake, and wheat straw using 13C NMR and comprehensive GC× GC. ACS sustainable chemistry & engineering, 4(9), pp.4974-4985.
5. Toraman, H.E., Vanholme, R., Borén, E., Vanwonterghem, Y., Djokic, M.R., Yildiz, G., Ronsse, F., Prins, W., Boerjan, W., Van Geem, K.M. and Marin, G.B., 2016. Potential of genetically engineered hybrid poplar for pyrolytic production of bio-based phenolic compounds. Bioresource technology, 207, pp.229-236.
6. Yildiz, G., Ronsse, F., Vercruysse, J., Daels, J., Toraman, H.E., van Geem, K.M., Marin, G.B., Van Duren, R. and Prins, W., 2016. In situ performance of various metal doped catalysts in micro-pyrolysis and continuous fast pyrolysis. Fuel Processing Technology, 144, pp.312-322.
7. Toraman, H.E., Dijkmans, T., Djokic, M.R., Van Geem, K.M. and Marin, G.B., 2014. Detailed compositional characterization of plastic waste pyrolysis oil by comprehensive two-dimensional gas-chromatography coupled to multiple detectors. Journal of Chromatography A, 1359, pp.237-246.
8. Yildiz, G., Lathouwers, T., Toraman, H.E., van Geem, K.M., Marin, G.B., Ronsse, F., van Duren, R., Kersten, S.R. and Prins, W., 2014. Catalytic fast pyrolysis of pine wood: effect of successive catalyst regeneration. Energy & fuels, 28(7), pp.4560-4572.
9. Bahcegul, E., Toraman, H.E., Erdemir, D., Akinalan, B., Ozkan, N. and Bakir, U., 2014. An unconventional approach for improving the integrity and mechanical properties of xylan type hemicellulose based films. RSC Advances, 4(64), pp.34117-34126.
10. Bahcegul, E., Akinalan, B., Toraman, H.E., Erdemir, D., Ozkan, N. and Bakir, U., 2013. Extrusion of xylans extracted from corn cobs into biodegradable polymeric materials. Bioresource technology, 149, pp.582-585.
11. Bahcegul, E., Toraman, H.E., Ozkan, N. and Bakir, U., 2012. Evaluation of alkaline pretreatment temperature on a multi-product basis for the co-production of glucose and hemicellulose based films from lignocellulosic biomass. Bioresource technology, 103(1), pp.440-445.
- Virginia S. and Philip L. Walker, Jr. Faculty Fellowship
- Ghent University Graduate Research Fellow, Belgium
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) personal scholarship for M.Sc. study
- North American Symposium for Chemical Reaction Engineering (NASCRE) 4 Travel Award