Hamid Emami-Meybodi is an associate professor in the John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering and the director of Subsurface Energy Recovery and Storage (SERS) JIP at Penn State. He joined Penn State in 2015 following ten years in academia as a research associate/assistant at the University of Calgary (Canada), CSIRO (Australia), University of Regina (Canada), and Petroleum University of Technology (Iran). He received B.Sc. and M.Sc. in chemical and reservoir engineering from the Petroleum University of Technology and an M.Eng., M.Sc., and Ph.D. in petroleum engineering from the University of Calgary.
Emami-Meybodi’s research has been centered on studying fluid flow and transport phenomena in porous media, spanning both applied and fundamental aspects, with applications to sustainable subsurface energy production and storage. His research focuses on developing new methods and technologies to maximize energy recovery from hydrocarbon resources and optimize carbon dioxide and hydrogen storage in geological formations. He published over 60 technical articles.
Emami-Meybodi is the associate editor for SPE Journal, an SPE International—Scholarship and Fellowship Committee member, and the Penn State SPE Student Chapter Faculty Advisor. He is the recipient of international and regional awards, including several from the Society of Petroleum Engineers: 2023 Regional Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty, 2022 A-Peer-Apart Award, 2022 Outstanding Associate Editor, 2021 Outstanding Technical Reviewer, 2021 Regional Service Award, 2019 Cedric K. Ferguson Medal, and 2018 Regional Reservoir Description and Dynamics Award.
- Multiphase Multicomponent Fluid Transport in Nanoporous Media
- Cyclic Solvent Injection in Ultratight Reservoirs
- Flowback Rate Transient Analysis of Multi-fractured Horizontal Wells
- Capillary Trapping Controlled by Geochemical Reactions in Porous Media
- Gas Lift Optimization in Unconventional Oil Reservoirs
Recent Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Z. Liu and H. Emami-Meybodi (2023) Gas transport modeling in organic-rich nanoporous media with nonequilibrium sorption kinetics, Fuel, 340, 127520.
- F. Zhang, L. Zou, Z. Rui, H. Emami-Meybodi, L. Ayala, Z. Zhang, (2023) A two-phase type-curve method with multiscale fluid transport mechanisms in hydraulically fractured shale reservoirs, Petro. Sci.
- Z. Liu and H. Emami-Meybodi (2022) Apparent diffusion coefficient for adsorption-controlled gas transport in nanoporous media, Chem. Eng. J., 450 (4) 138105.
- Z. Liu and H. Emami-Meybodi (2022) Continuum-scale gas transport modeling in organic nanoporous media based on pore-scale density distributions, SPE J., SPE-205886-PA.
- F. Zhang and H. Emami-Meybodi (2022) A type-curve method for two-phase flowback analysis in hydraulically fractured hydrocarbon reservoirs, J. Petro. Sci. Eng., 209, 109912
- F. Zhang and H. Emami-Meybodi (2022) Semianalytical method of two-phase liquid transport in shale reservoirs and its application in fracture characterization, AIChE J., 68, e17449
- K. Enab and H. Emami-Meybodi (2021) Effects of diffusion, adsorption, and hysteresis on huff-n-puff performance in ultratight reservoirs with different fluid types and injection gases, Energies, 14(21), 7379
- H. Emami-Meybodi and F. Zhang (2021) Buoyancy-driven instabilities of partially miscible fluids in inclined porous media, J. Fluid Mech., 926, A32
- Z. Liu and H. Emami-Meybodi (2021) Diffusion-based modeling of gas transport in organic-rich ultratight reservoirs, SPE J., 26(02), 857–882.
- Z. Liu and H. Emami-Meybodi (2021) Rate transient analysis of infinite-acting linear flow by use of piecewise constant diffusivity coefficients, J. Petro. Sci. Eng., 196(107783).
- Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty, Eastern North America Region, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2023
- A Peer Apart Award, SPE’s Technical Journals, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2022
- Outstanding Associate Editor Award, SPE Journal, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2022
- E. Willard & Ruby S. Miller Faculty Fellowship, Penn State University, 2021–2026
- Quentin E. and Louise L. Wood Endowed Faculty Fellow in Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, Penn State University, 2021–2022
- Service Award, Eastern North America Region, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2021
- Outstanding Technical Reviewer Award, SPE Journal, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2021
- Cedric K. Ferguson Medal, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2019
- Reservoir Description and Dynamics Award, Eastern North America Region, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2018
- Endeavour Research Fellowship, Department of Education, Australia, 2014–2015
- Alberta Innovates Technology Futures Fellowship, AITF, Canada, 2014–2015
- Engineering Graduate Excellence Scholarship, University of Calgary, 2014
- Eyes High International Doctoral Scholarship, University of Calgary, Canada, 2013
- UKERC Energy and Environment School, UK Energy Research Centre, UK, 2013
- PennWest Graduate Excellence Scholarship, PennWest Exploration, Canada, 2012
- OMAE Graduate Excellence Scholarship, American Society of Mechanical Engineering, Canada, 2012