Feifei Shi currently serves as assistant professor of energy engineering in the John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering. She held a courtesy appointment at the material science and engineering and mechanical engineering department at Penn State. Shi’s research interests lie broadly at the intersection of surface chemistry, material science, and mechanical engineering, with an emphasis on integrated energy systems, e.g. catalysis, battery, and nuclear energy systems.
She holds a B.S. degree in chemistry from Fudan University, China in 2010, and a Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 2015. Before joining Penn State on August 2019, Shi was a postdoctoral researcher in the material science and engineering department at Stanford University from 2016-2019. Shi received awards including 2023 NSF CAREER Award, 2022 J&J WiSTEM2D Scholar by Johnson & Johnson, 2021 George H. Deike, Jr. Research Grant, and 2019 Virginia S. and Philip L. Walker Faculty Fellow at Penn State University. The author of 55 articles (h-index 38) and one book chapter, she serves as the guest editor for Frontiers in Energy Research, Energy & Environmental Materials (EEM) and the editorial board of Energy Materials.
- Interface science in battery electrolyte
- Manufacturing optimization for batteries
- Corrosion mechanism in molten salt system
- Sustainable critical element extraction
- Xiao, J,; Shi F.; Glossmann T.; Burnett C.; Liu Z. From Laboratory innovations to materials manufacturing for Lithium-Based Batteries, Nat. Energy, 2023,8, 329-339.
- Wu T; Liu B.; Liu C.;Wan J.; Yang A.; Liu K.; Shi F.; Zhao J.; Lu Z.; Chen G.; Pei A.; Hwang H.; Cui Y, Solar-driven efficient heterogeneous subminute water disinfection nanosystem assembled with fingerprint MoS2, Nat Water (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s44221-023-00079-4
- Wang, J.; Sun, Y.; Lai, J.; Pan, R.; Fan, Y.; Wu, X.; Ou, M.; Zhu, Y.; Fu, L.; Shi, F. *; Wu, Y., Two-dimensional graphitic carbon nitride/N-doped carbon with a direct Z-scheme heterojunction for photocatalytic generation of hydrogen. Nanoscale Advances 2021, 3 (23), 6580-6586.
- Chen A.; Qu, C; Shi, Y; Shi, F.*, Manufacturing strategies for solid electrolyte in batteries. Frontiers in Energy Research, 2020, 8, 571440
- Rozelle, P. L., Shi, F., Rezaee, M., & Pisupati, S. V., Availability and Estimate of Resources of Cobalt in Pennsylvania. Final Report for Center for Critical Minerals, DOE 2020
- Wu, D. S., Zhou, G., Mao, E., Sun, Y., Liu, B., Wang, L., Wang, J., Shi, F., & Cui, Y. (2020). A novel battery scheme: Coupling nanostructured phosphorus anodes with lithium sulfide cathodes. Nano Research, 1-6