My primary research activities focus on developing Bayesian inversion strategies for extracting information from seismic survey data. In particular, I investigate the use of seismic attenuation in these inversion strategies because instrinsic attenuation is theoretically linked more strongly to the hydraulic properties of a formation (i.e., porosity, permeability, saturation) than velocity. The non-linearity and multimodality of the rock physics equations that model attenuation warrant stochastic inversion techniques, and a Bayesian framework allows a convenient expression of prior geologic knowledge, as well as the predictions, in a probabilistic way. These methods can achieve a better characterization of reservoirs in the exploration phase.
I am also interested in solving problems in the oil and gas industry using statistics, BIG data analytics, and machine learning. A large focus is on well production data, where my group is using time series statistics, geostatistics, and pattern recognition techniques to improve forecasting and operational decision support.
- Faculty Advisor, Penn State SPE Student Chapter 2014-Present
- Scholarship Chair, SPE Pittsburgh Section 2014-Present
- Udegbe, E, Morgan, E, and Srinivasan, S (20xx). “Big Data Analytics for Production Data Classification using Feature Detection: Application to Restimulation Candidate Selection.” SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering - Formation Evaluation, (accepted).
- Lei, X, and Morgan, EC (20xx). “A comparison of methods for estimating Q.” Geophysics, (submitted).
- Ayala, LF, and Morgan, EC (2016). “Natural Gas Production Engineering.” ASTM Publication MNL73: Exploration and Production of Petroleum and Natural Gas Handbook, Ch. 14.
- Morgan, EC, Vanneste, M, Lecomte, I, Baise, LG, Longva, O, and McAdoo, BG (2012). “Estimation of free gas saturation from seismic reflection surveys by the genetic algorithm inversion of a P-wave attenuation model.” Geophysics, 77(4): R175-R187. doi:10.1190/geo2011-0291.1
- Thompson, EM, Baise, LG, Kayen, RE, Morgan, EC, and Kaklamanos, J (2011). “Integrated multiscale site response mapping.” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 101(3): 1081-1100. doi:10.1785/0120100211
- Morgan, EC, Lackner, M, Vogel, RM, and Baise, LG (2011). “Probability distributions for offshore wind speeds.” Energy Conversion and Management, 52(1): 15-26. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.015
- Morgan, EC, McAdoo, BG, and Baise, LG (2008). “Quantifying geomorphology associated with large subduction zone earthquakes.” Basin Research, 20(4): 531-542. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2117.2008.00368.x
- Hoffmann, G, Silver, E, Day, S, Morgan, EC, Driscoll, NW, and Orange, D (2008). “Sediment waves in the Bismarck volcanic arc, Papua New Guinea.” Special Paper - Geological Society of America, 436: 91-126. doi:10.1130/2008.2436(05)
- Morgan, EC (2018). “Accounting for serial autocorrelation in decline curve analysis of Marcellus shale gas wells.” Society of Petroleum Engineers - Eastern Regional Meeting, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA. SPE-191788-MS
- Xi, Z, and Morgan, EC (2018). “Combining decline curve analysis and geostatistics to forecast gas production in the Marcellus shale.” Society of Petroleum Engineers - Eastern Regional Meeting, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA. SPE-191793-MS
- Udegbe, E, Morgan, EC, and Srinivasan, S (2018). “Big data analytics for seismic fracture identification, using amplitude-based statistics.” Society of Petroleum Engineers 2018 Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, TX. SPE-191668-MS
- Udegbe, E, Morgan, EC, and Srinivasan, S (2017). “From face detection to fracture reservoir characterization: Big Data analytics for restimulation candidate selection.” Society of Petroleum Engineers 2017 Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, San Antonio, TX. SPE-187328-MS
- Lei, X, and Morgan, EC (2017). “Characterization of gas-charged sediments from joint inversion of Qp and Qs with sonic logs.” Society of Exploration Geophysics Annual Meeting, 2017. pp. 3319-3324.
- Lei, X, and Morgan, EC (2016). “A comparison of methods for estimating Q.” Society of Exploration Geophysics Annual Meeting, 2016. pp. 3021-3025.
- Venugopal, K., Kelly, P., Jamaluddin, A., McConnell, C., Alger, M., Morgan, E., Ni, R., Dunn, R., and Grasselli, G. (2016). “The PetroChallenge - An Innovative E&P Learning Experience Using an Interactive Learning Simulation”, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Dubai, UAE, Sept. 2016.
- Lei, X, and Morgan, EC (2015). “Characterization of gas-charged sediments from joint inversion of Qp and Qs.” Society of Exploration Geophysics Annual Meeting, 2015. pp. 2765-2770.
- Vardy, ME, Vanneste, M, Henstock, TJ, Morgan, EC, and Pinson, LJW (2015). “Can high-resolution marine geophysical data be inverted for soil properties?” Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics. Vol. 37, Pt. 1. University of Bath, UK, Sept. 7-9, 2015.
- Vanneste, M, Forsberg, CF, Knudsen, S, Kvalstad, TJ, L’Heureux, J-S, Lunne, T, Vardy, ME, Chand, S, Longva, O, Morgan EC, Kopf, A, Morz, T, Steiner, A, Brendryen, J, and Haflidason, H (2015). “Integration of very-high-resolution seismic and CPTU data from a coastal area affected by shallow landsliding - the Finneidfjord natural laboratory.” International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics, At Oslo, Norway. Volume: Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics III, Chapter 137. ISBN: 978-1-138-02848-7
- Morgan, EC, Vanneste, M, and Vardy, M (2014). “Characterization of the slope-destabilizing effects of gas-charged sediment via seismic surveys.” Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference, Paper No. 25196.
- Morgan, EC, and Baise, LG (2011). “Assessing the probability of occurrence of earthquake-induced landslides offshore the U.S. East Coast: a first-order, second moment approach.” GeoRisk, 2011. Paper #136.
- Morgan, EC, Vanneste, M, Longva, O, Lecomte, I, McAdoo, B, and Baise, LG (2010). “Evaluating gas-generated pore pressure with seismic reflection data in a landslide-prone area: an example from Finneidfjord, Norway.” In: Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences, ed. by Mosher, et al., vol. 28, pp. 399-410, Springer. Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research (ISBN: 978-90-481-3070-2).
- Morgan, EC, McAdoo, B, Baise, LG, and DeGroot, DJ (2007). “Quantitative seafloor geomorphology and offshore geohazards.” Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference, Paper No. 18736.