Ashish Ranjan Kumar is an assistant professor of mining engineering in the Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering at Penn State. He received his undergraduate in mining engineering from the Indian School of Mines working on airflow modeling around different airfoils of a mine ventilation fan. He held a summer research fellowship at the National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, and worked on reflection seismology applications to underwater seamounts. He obtained his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Kentucky researching dust scrubbers. Later, he worked as a post-doctoral scholar and was co-PI on NIOSH-funded research on novel dust filters. He was a post-doctoral fellow at the Missouri University of Science and Technology and taught six courses in the Department of Mining and Explosives Engineering. Subsequently, we worked on underground mine fire and acid-mist suppression efficacy of surfactants in copper electrowinning plants as an assistant research professor. He has worked extensively on mining dust suppression and holds two patents on novel maintenance-free impingement and vortex-type dust filters. He is interested in the automation and control of mining systems. He has expertise in multi-phase computational fluid dynamics models and aerosols transportation.
He has experience exceeding three years in engineering and operations of surface mines. He is active in the Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME). He is a registered professional engineer in Kentucky.
- Schafrik, S.J., Kumar, A.R. and Taylor, A., University of Kentucky Research Foundation, 2022. Efficient non-clogging inertial vortex type particle scrubber. U.S. Patent 11,338,232.
- Kumar, A.R., Schafrik, S., Wedding, W.C. and Velasquez, O., University of Kentucky Research Foundation, 2021. Filter assembly and scrubber section for a continuous miner. U.S. Patent 11,207,627.
- Coal and Energy Division, Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc.
- Young Leaders Committee of the Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc. (2017 - 2021)
- Oluwafemi, S., Xu, G., Kumar, A. R., Pushparaj, R. I., and Iqbal, A., 2023. Fire-induced temperature attenuation under the influence of a single ceiling smoke extraction point in a mine drift. In North American Mine Ventilation Symposium (Preprint). Rapid City, SD.
- Amoah, N., Kumar, A. R., and Xu, G., 2023. Parametric studies to maximize the dust protection performance of the two-level manifold canopy air curtain and computational fluid dynamics modeling. In North American Mine Ventilation Symposium (Preprint). Rapid City, SD.
- Amoah, N. A., Xu, G., Kumar, A. R., and Wang, Y., 2023. Calibration of low-cost particulate matter sensors for coal dust monitoring. Science of The Total Environment, 859, 160336.
- Kumar, A.R., Gupta, N. and Schafrik, S., 2022. CFD modeling and laboratory studies of dust cleaning efficacy of an efficient four-stage non-clogging impingement filter for flooded-bed dust scrubbers. International Journal of Coal Science and Technology, 9(16).
- Kumar, A. R., Henderson, K. M., and Schafrik, S., 2021. Scale modeling, PIV, and LES of blowing-type airflow in a deep-cut continuous coal mining section. In Mine Ventilation (pp. 65-74). CRC Press.
- Gupta, N., Kumar, A. R., and Schafrik, S., 2021. Laboratory determination of coal dust cleaning efficacy of a fibrous filter for flooded-bed dust scrubber. Minerals, 11(3), p. 295.
- Kumar, A.R., Schafrik, S. and Velasquez, O., 2020. Designing, Modeling, and Laboratory Testing of a Non-clogging Impingement Type Filter for Mining Dust Scrubbers. Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration 37, pp.1911–1918.
- Kumar, A.R. and Schafrik, S., 2020. Multiphase CFD modeling and laboratory testing of a Vortecone for mining and industrial dust scrubbing applications. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 144, pp.330-336.
- Kumar, A.R., Schafrik, S. and Novak, T., 2020. Multi-phase computer modeling and laboratory study of dust capture by an inertial Vortecone scrubber. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 30(3), pp.287-291.
- Kumar, A.R., Levy, A., Kumar, A., Schafrik, S. and Novak, T., 2020. Computational fluid dynamics modeling and laboratory analysis of aerosol particles' capture on thin swirling water film in a Vortecone. Powder Technology, 361, pp.499-506.
- Grana-Otero, J., Schmitt, S., and Kumar, A., 2019. Computational modeling of graphene oxidation. In Abstracts of the Papers of the American Chemical Society (Vol. 257). 1155 16th St., NW, Washington DC 20036 USA: Amer Chemical Soc.
- Stefanko Best Paper Award of the SME (2022)
- Henry-Krumb lecturer of the Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc. (2019 – 2021)
- WAAIME scholarship (2014, 2016, and 2017)
- Lewis and Elizabeth W. Young scholarship (2015)
- International Society of Explosives Engineers scholarship (2014, 2015)