Dr. Arash Dahi Taleghani is a professor of petroleum engineering at Penn State. Before joining Penn State, he was an associate professor of petroleum engineering at Louisiana State University while serving as an independent consultant in the oil and gas industry. He earned a M.S. in civil engineering from Sharif University of Technology and his Ph.D. in petroleum engineering from the University of Texas at Austin. He has about 12 years of combined experience in applied engineering, research, and in academia and is a registered professional engineer.
Taleghani is the associate editor of ASME journal of Energy Resources and Technology and has numerous publications and three patent applications in the field of drilling and completion. In 2014, he received the Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty from the Society of Petroleum Engineering (SPE). He also received SPE Eastern North America Regional Completion Optimization and Technology in 2017. He is currently researching reservoir geomechanics, hydraulic fracturing, wellbore integrity, drill bit mechanics, and poroelasticity. He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in petroleum rock mechanics, mechanical earth modeling, hydraulic fracturing, well-logging, production engineering and well-completion techniques.
- Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Multiscale Science and Engineering published by Springer
- SPE Eastern North America Regional Completion Optimization and Technology Award, 2017
- NCEES PE Petroleum Exam Committee member since 2017
- Recognized as a "Future Leader" by American Rock Mechanics Association
- Wellbore Stimulation and Production Enhancement Committee SPE ATCE 2017
- Co-director of Unconventional Oil and Gas Summer School, Dubrovnik, Summer 2016
- SPE Scholarship and Fellowship Committee (2015–2016)
- LSU Foundation Tigers Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2015
- Co-director of Petroleum Engineering Summer School, Dubrovnik, Summer 2015
- SPE Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty, 2014
- Associate Editor for ASME Journal of Energy Resources and Technology, since 2013
- SPE Petroleum Engineering Junior Faculty Research Initiation Award, 2012