Dr. Amin Mehrabian is an associate professor at the Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering at Penn State, and a former Principal R&D Engineer at Houston Technology Center of Halliburton Energy Services. He specializes in the mechanics and physics of porous, fluid-impregnated media involving the coupled processes of deformation, fracture, creep, transport, sorption, and electrochemistry. Mehrabian’s research applies to the subsurface and wellbore problems of energy and storage, as well as rock and biological tissue characterization. His Poromechanics Research Group has produced digital solutions used by major energy companies. Mehrabian has authored over 35 peer-reviewed publications. He holds a U.S. patent grant on managed pressure drilling and a patent application on wellbore hydraulics.
The full list of publications may be viewed in the CV.
- X. Su, A. Mehrabian, 2023, Variations of the in‐situ stress within nonhomogeneous layers of the subsurface rock induced by changes in pore fluid pressure, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 47(9), 1637-1657.
- W. Zhang, A. Mehrabian, 2023, Poromechanics constitutive relations and analytical solution for nonlinear gas transport and sorption in deformable rocks, Transport in Porous Media, Published online.
- K. Nguyen, A. Mehrabian, A. Bathija, A. Santra, 2022, Compression of particulate materials in wellbore fractures and enhancement of the wellbore breakdown limit, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 89(10): 101002.
- X. Su, A. Mehrabian, 2022, The poroviscoelastodynamic solution to Mandel’s problem, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 530, 116987.
- K. Nguyen*, A. Mehrabian, A. Santra, D. Phan, 2022, Tensile failure and fracture width of partially permeable wellbores with applications in lost circulation material design, Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal, 27(01), 465-487.
- W. Zhang, A. Mehrabian, 2021, Nonlinear and non-local analytical solution for Darcy–Forchheimer flow through a deformable porous inclusion within a semi-infinite elastic medium, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 911, A49.
- A. Mehrabian, C. Liu, 2021, Mandel’s problem reloaded, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 492, 115785.
- W. Zhang, A. Mehrabian, 2020, Poroelastic solution for the nonlinear injectivity of subsurface rocks with strain‐induced permeability variations, Water Resources Research, 56(08), e2020WR027620.
- A. Mehrabian, Y. Abousleiman, 2019, Poroelastic solution to the Brazilian test, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 126, 104201.
- A. Mehrabian, 2018, The poroelastic constants of multiple-porosity solids, International Journal of Engineering Science, 132, 97-104