Course Substitutions for MNGE

Below is a list of course substitutions for MNGE.

To have the substitute course count on your degree audit, you must get the signature of your assigned advisor and program chair on a petition form and submit the completed form to 115 Hosler.

Original Course



STAT 301

STAT 401

STAT 301 is no longer being taught at Penn State, so unless students have previously completed it or have transfer credit for it, they should take STAT 401 instead.

EMCH 210

211 + 213

This substitution is allowed for any MNGE student, but it is commonly done by students at commonwealth campuses where EMCH 210 is not offered. 

CMPSC 201 or 202


Allowed for any MNGE student.

CMPSC 201 or 202


Allowed only for MNGE students who began at a commonwealth campus and took CMPSC 121 while at that campus.

EMSC 100

CAS 100

Students who began at a PSU campus other than UP or in a PSU college other than Earth and Mineral Sciences will take CAS 100 in place of EMSC 100.

EME 301 or ME 300

ME 201

MNGE students who are taking thermodynamics at the UP campus should schedule ME 201 rather than EME 301 or ME 300.

MATH 250

MATH 251

Allowed for any MNGE student.

MATH 231 or 220

MATH 230

Allowed for any MNGE student.