Chiara Lo Prete
Assistant Professor of Energy Economics
Chiara Lo Prete joined the John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering as an Assistant Professor of Energy Economics in July 2014. Dr. Lo Prete studies the design and operations of electricity markets using quantitative methods at the intersection of economics, operations research and statistics. Current research focuses on strategic behavior and price formation in wholesale electricity markets, impacts of state energy and environmental policies on regional electricity markets, and market design to accommodate penetration of renewable and distributed energy generation. Her interdisciplinary work involves collaborations with scientists in Energy and Mineral Engineering, Economics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science and Statistics at Penn State and other academic institutions. Before joining Penn State, Dr. Lo Prete was a Ziff Environmental Fellow at the Harvard University Center for the Environment. She earned a B.A. in Economics from LUISS University, a M.A. in Energy Economics from the Scuola Mattei, and a M.S. and Ph.D. in Geography and Environmental Engineering from The Johns Hopkins University.
Ph.D. (Geography and Environmental Engineering), The Johns Hopkins University, 2012
M.S. (Geography and Environmental Engineering), The Johns Hopkins University, 2009
M.A. (Energy Economics), Scuola Enrico Mattei, 2004
B.A. (Economics), LUISS University (summa cum laude), 2003
- Electricity market design
- Energy economics
- Market microstructure
- Applied econometrics
- Mathematical programming models of energy markets
213 Hosler Building
- C. Lo Prete and B.F. Hobbs. (2015). “Market power in power markets: an analysis of residual demand curves in California’s day-ahead energy market in 1998-2000”. The Energy Journal, 36(2), pp.191-218.
- C. Lo Prete and C.S. Norman. (2013). “Rockets and feathers in CO2-power markets? New evidence from the second phase of the EU ETS”. Energy Economics 36, pp. 312-321.
- C. Lo Prete, B.F. Hobbs, C.S. Norman, S. Cano-Andrade, A. Fuentes, M.R. von Spakovsky and L. Mili. (2012). “Sustainability and reliability assessment of microgrids in a regional electricity market”. Energy 41, pp. 192-202.
• Wilson Research Initiation Award, 2015