Zhen Lei is currently an Assistant Professor of Energy and Environmental Economics. He has expertise in both economics and science, holding a Ph.D. degree in Economics and a Ph.D. degree in Chemistry. His research interests include economics of innovation, intellectual property, science and technology policy, energy and environmental economics, and applied econometrics.
Ph.D. (Agricultural and Resource Economics), University of California at Berkeley, 2009
Ph.D. (Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences), Peking University Health Sciences Center, 2000
M.S. (Organic Chemistry), Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1997
B.S. (Chemistry), Wuhan University, 1993
- Economics of innovation, intellectual property policy and entrepreneurship
- Energy and environmental economics
- Science and technology policy
- Empirical econometrics
Zhen Lei’s research interests include economics of innovation and intellectual property, entrepreneurship, science and technology policy, energy and environmental economics, and applied econometrics. There are two major thrusts in his research. The first one is on economics and policy of technological investment and innovation in energy and environment, particularly in the U.S. and China. The second research thrust is to examine more general economics and policy issues related to incentives, institutions and policies for innovation. These issues include the patent systems, university patenting and licensing, technology adoption and diffusion, innovation networks, etc.
- Graff, Gregory D., Devon Phillips, Zhen Lei, Sooyoung Oh, Carol Nottenburg, and Philip G. Pardey. “Not Quite a Myriad of Gene Patents: Assessing the Potential Impact of the U.S. Supreme Court on the Changing Landscape of U.S. Patents that Claim Nucleic Acids,” Nature Biotechnology, 2013, 31(5), 404-410.
- Daniel R. Cahoy, Joel Gehman and Zhen Lei, “Fracking Patents: The Emergence of Patents as Information Containment Tools in Shale Drilling,” Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review, 2013, Forthcoming.
- Sooyoung Oh, Zhen Lei, Prasenjit Mitra and John Yen, “Evaluating and Ranking Patents Using Weighted Citations,” in Proceedings of The ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2012), 281-284, Washington D.C., U.S.A., 2012.
- Zhen Lei, Rakhi Juneja and Brian Wright, "Patents vs. Patenting: Implications of Intellectual Property Protection for Biological Research", Nature Biotechnology, 2009(1), 27, 36-40.
- Steven E. Sexton, Zhen Lei and David Zilberman, "The Economics of Pesticides and Pest Control", International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, 2007, 1(3), 271-326.
- Zhen Lei, Weiguo Chen, Min Zhang and Joseph L. Napoli, "Reduction of all-trans-retinal in the mouse liver peroxisome fraction by the short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase RRD: induction by the PPARa-ligand clofibrate", Biochemistry, 2003, 42, 4190-4196.
- Zhen Lei, Ling Zhang, Liang Ren Zhang, Jun Chen, Jimei Min and Lihe Zhang, "Hybrid Characteristics of oligonucleotides consisting of isonucleoside 2',5'-anhydro-3'-deoxy- 3'-(thymin-1-yl)-D-mannitol with different linkage modes", Nucleic Acids Research, 2001, 29(7), 1470-1475.
- Zhen Lei, Jimei Min, Lihe Zhang, "Synthesis of 3-deoxy-3-nucleobase -2,5-anhydro-D -mannitol: a novel class of hydromethyl-branched isonucleosides", Tetrahedron Asymmetry, 2000, 11, 2899-2906.
- Weisheng Tian, Zhen Lei, Ling Chen, Ying Huang, "Some new reactions of per(poly)alkyl sulfonyl floride with steriodic molecules", Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 2000, 101, 305-308.