Student Travel Support Information

EME student travel experiences

EME Student Travel Support
The John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering is pleased to help support educational student travel experiences undertaken by our students, such as attending or presenting research at a professional society conference or taking part in an organized research program (like the GREEN Program) during a semester break, when funding is available.
Who is eligible for EME travel support?
You must be a full-time student enrolled in an EME major.
What does a travel grant cover?
Each grant is intended to partially reimburse travel expenses (airfare, ground transportation, hotel, and/or registration fees). Meals and personal incidentals are not eligible for reimbursement. Grants typically range from $500-$1,000 per traveler, but may be less if the overall cost of the trip is low. Students are unlikely to receive more than one travel grant per academic year.
How are the funds disbursed?
Travel support must be handled as a reimbursement of expenses after the trip. Grant recipients must collect and submit a copy of their travel receipts along with a completed Travel Expense Form to Missy Stine in room 114B Hosler Building within 30 days of the travel. Reimbursements will be made by check after the trip. Reimbursements will not exceed the total amount of the submitted receipts.
How are grant applicants judged?
Applicants are judged on financial need and merit. FAFSA need level and GPA are considered along with how well the proposed travel augments and expands the student’s academic and professional development. Students with a GPA under 2.0 are not likely to receive funding.
When and how are grant applicants notified?
Requests are considered on a rolling first-come, first-served basis.  Grant applicants will be notified by email within approximately two weeks of the application being submitted.
Funding Sources:
The John P. and Louise C. Weir Student Enrichment Fund provides approximately $6,000 per year to help us support student travel to professional meetings and to present student research efforts. Additional funding is sometimes available from program support funds within each major in the department. You do not need to cite a specific funding source when making a request. We consider any and all available funds for each request we receive.
A note on graduate student travel:
Most travel funds in the department are earmarked for undergraduate travel support. Graduate students traveling to present their research are expected to be supported by their faculty advisor and research project funding. However, graduate students may apply when other funding is not available, and requests will be considered if funding is available.

Apply for an EME Student Travel Grant >>
Students currently enrolled in EME majors may submit travel support requests using the online application form or by filling out a paper form available from Rachel Conaway in room 116 Hosler Building.